I in no way claim to be the perfect mother. In fact if there is one thing you learn being a mother it is that there are no perfect mothers. You can not do it all. Going in with realistic expectations is imperative. Here are a few of the things I have learned in my 5 years that I wish I would have known as a first time mom.
Prepping for baby:
- Keep a diaper handy in case your water breaks at home or while you are out. Once it starts it doesn’t stop, it’s like one continuous trickle. I kid you not, this happened to me with both kids and on my second I borrowed one of my sons diapers. It kept me and my car perfectly dry. Way better than walking in dripping wet wrapped in a towel!!
- You don’t need everything they put on all those prepping for baby lists. Just get what seems right to you. I never really used my C shaped pillow and baby robes, but needed way more burp clothes (the ones made from cloth diapers are the best!!). Every baby and family is different.
- Take your own blanket and pillow. It might seem over the top, but you’ll be glad you did especially if you end up staying multiple days.
- If you end up staying multiple nights request a room away from the ice maker, nurse station, etc so you can rest quietly.
- You are not a bad mother if you send the baby to the nursery for a while so you can rest. You can not care for your little one if you are a zombie.
- Everyone will have advice. Take what works for you and leave what doesn’t. You don’t have to mother exactly how your mother or mother-in-law or friend does.
- Let people help you. It will be a blessing to them and to you.
- Sleep when you can. Nap when they nap. You might be tempted to get things done, but just like a car, your body can’t run on empty.
- Asking people wash their hands before holding your newborn is fine.
- If all you accomplish in a day is having a shower, bravo! Just enjoy the time with your tiny one. It does not last long.
What do you wish you had known as a first time mom?
Share your tips below and the first 350 to reply will receive Comforts For Baby coupons for products like baby formula and diapers.