When it comes to school lunch sometimes things can get repetitive and boring which is why I was thrilled to take the challenge from Glad to come up with a fun new school lunch idea. I have seen so many cool Bento ideas, but I don't have any of those boxes. What I do have is tons of Glad containers. Don't we all? You don't need a special box to make a special school lunch for your kiddos, just a little imagination.
Dino Themed School Lunch
It's this little sandwich cutter for a couple bucks at Wal-mart that makes this lunch super easy.
Spinach tortilla wrap
Red food coloring
Juice pouch (frozen)
I put the dinosaur scene in a Glad entree size container and the yogurt in a mini round.
It's a good idea to pack lunch night before so you can freeze the yogurt and juice.
1. Cut dino shapes from your wrap, provolone, and turkey. Layer them with two turkey and one provolone in each. I stacked two little sandwiches on top of each other. I did not use condiments because I did not want it to get soggy. You could pack some on the side, but they really aren't necessary. I ate a couple dinos and as long as your wraps are fresh they are not dry at all.
2. Cut leaf and spikey bush shapes out of the fruit roll-up. Break the pretzel rod in half and stick leaves on the top of each to make trees. Place the bushes and trees around the dino sandwiches.
3. Cut a celery stalk into little bites and fill the bottom of the container to act as foliage.
4. Fill the mini round container with strawberry yogurt and swirl some red food coloring on top to look like lava. Put the sealed container in the freezer so it will stay cold in the lunch cooler.
6. Put a napkin in a resealable bag and lay it over the dinosaur scene to keep the tortilla fresh and soft. This will also protect the napkin and wrap from the condensation as the juice thaws.
7. Lay the frozen juice pouch on top of the napkin and put the lid on the container. The juice will keep the meat and cheese cold and keep things from shifting around.
8. Put a spoon in the entree container.
9. Place everything in a lunch cooler and it will all be thawed just in time for lunch.
My little guys were so excited to chomp down their prehistoric lunch. One said it was the best lunch ever and kept telling me how it was so cool.
He loves it because it's cool, I love it because it is low fat and contains all four food groups. Win win.
How do you make school lunch more fun?
Everyone who shares a back to school recipe, tip, or idea before August 31st on the "Mom Made" promotion on Glad's Facebook page, is eligible for a chance to win a Lunch Kit for their kids' entire class! For more info, visit www.facebook.com/GLAD