I have allergies. I have had ever since I can remember. When spring comes and things start to look pretty my congestion gets ugly. My mom says I had a runny nose since birth. Lovely, I know. Allergies are the pits. Lucky for us there are ways to help control the sniffle, sneeze, head exploding joy by making some alterations in our home decor. Cool right?! Here are ten tips on how to make your home decor work for you and your (or your family's) allergies.
10 Tips for Allergy Friendly Decorating
- Keep clutter free and easy to dust or rotate frequently so things aren't sitting. I love to rotate my living room decor based on season so this help eliminate things collecting dust.
- Buy allergy friendly indoor plants. Here's a great list of allergy friendly indoor plants and believe it or not many of them are beautiful and colorful!
- Use fake flowers and greenery. I would never be able to have fresh lilacs in the house, but I love how the silk version looks in this pitcher aside my cherry blossom branch!
- Leather couches instead of cloth are easier to wipe down. Admittedly, my couches are microfiber, but they are second best for wipe down purposes especially when scotch guarded.
- Use washable bedding and wash in hot often. My son has an organic allergy friendly mattress pad and comforter from Natura that have been great!
- Hang easy to wipe blinds instead of drapes that collect dust
- Have a chest to store toys that are not in use so they don't sit and collect dust. I like this one that is simple, but has a little something special in that it resembles a treasure chest.
- Use washable rugs so you can toss them in the washing machine as needed
- Paint over wallpaper collects less dust on the walls
- Use tile or wood on floors instead of carpet that collects dust and germs. I have a lot of carpet, but I have it cleaned with the changes of the seasons and vacuum with a HEPA filter.
For more tips on relieving allergies visit www.Facebook.com/Claritin. I was selected for this sponsorship by the Clever Girls Collective, which endorses Blog With Integrity, as I do.
P.S. Don't forget to sign up for free Tipsy updates via RSS or email.