I have never been a big cereal eater. My day usually begins with a glass of Ovaltine or a granola bar when I am on the go, but my boys love cereal. They eat in in the morning, they’ll eat is as a snack, they have even been known to coat ice cream with it. Knowing this, it was no surprise that when Kix sent me a couple of boxes to try, the box of Honey Kix was gone almost immediately after removing it from the shipping box.
Being an advertising major in college, I knew that Kix is “Kid tested-Mother Approved” but there are some interesting breakfast facts I was unaware of. For instance, a new survey from Kix found that 84 percent of parents turn to cereal with milk for a quick and healthy breakfast. I suppose I am a minority. Did you know that ready-to-eat cereal has fewer calories than almost any other common breakfast option? I didn’t. In addition, cereal eaters consume less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters. I may be converted to cereal after all.
But, anyone who knows me knows I am a treat girl. So, naturally I took the remaining box of Kix and kicked it up a notch. We’re talking a super treat that is totally “Mother Approved.” Not for breakfast of course, but I chose to show the versatility of the cute little corn balls that have been around for oh, 70 years or so.
Let’s go with a Valentines recipes theme using one of my favorite combos of Mint and Chocolate I like to lovingly call (cue the Jewel song)
- 1/2 cup Dark Chocolate with Mint Morsels or Andes Mints
- 1/2 cup Kix cereal
- A few red M&Ms crushed
- Hershey’s Chocolate Mint candy cane or any candy stick
1. Microwave the morsels stirring often until smooth.
2. Stir Kix into chocolate.
3. Put mixture into heart mold on wax paper covered plate.
4. Put in fridge for a few of minutes until it will hold the heart shape, but is still soft.
5. Break crook of cane so you just have a stick and carefully insert it in to the bottom of the heart. Put something under the stick to hold it in place.
6. Put back in fridge for at least 15 minutes to set.
7. Turn on broiler and hold the heart under it melting the chocolate on the side that was on the wax paper.
8. Sprinkle with crushed red M&Ms.
9. Put back in fridge to set.
Little guy was super excited about this Valentine treat!
I’d say it was a success! And I can feel good about it because it had wholesome cereal in it right? 😉
Now, because it is the season of love and here at A Little Tipsy we like to
Kix is giving away a “Kid-Tested, Mother-Approved” prize pack including a floor puzzle, fun learn-to-count flashcards, a sippy cup, a portable snack container and a box each of Original Kix and Honey Kix cereals.
Speaking of love, little guy loves all the fun things in this prize pack!
Extra entries: leave a separate comment for each entry
- Follow A Little Tipsy
- Like A Little Tipsy on Facebook
Don’t forget to leave your email in a comment if you don’t have it on your profile!
Giveaway closes Friday, January 7th. Good Luck!
Disclosure: Kix provided the prize packs and information through MyBlogSpark.
P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for free Tipsy updates via RSS or email.