HaPpy EaRth DaY!
Here are some tips on how to be green and keep the earth happy and healthy for our kids!1. Recycle
- Lucky for us, where I live recycling is required so we have a recycle can where we can dump all of our recyclable goods. We don't even have to separate them. Talk about easy.
- If this is not the case for you, a good place to start is with newspaper and phone books. Collect them in a box or basket and deliver them to the properly marked "dumpsters" in your grocery store parking lot every few weeks.
- Another way to recycle is thrift store donating and shopping. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
- What?! Tropicana is having a promotion right now where you get a code that saves 100 square feet of rainforest and gives you a chance to win eco-friendly prizes! How cool! They even show you a picture of your little plot. See my little spot in Peru below.
- Mine are from Smith's, but look pretty similar to the Walmart bags below. Almost a year ago I thought I would try to do my part and bought a couple of these little babies to try them out. I thought it might be annoying to have to remember them every time. Are you kidding?! I LOVE my bags! I have five and am considering a few more.
- At 99 cents a pop, why not? (They also have bags that keep items cool for about $2)
- They hold SO much more than plastic bags (which means less trips to unload the car) and they stand up in the back of the car (no more escapee cans or apples). These are a serious blessing in disguise.
- Oh, I almost forgot to mention that they pay for themselves! At least at Smith's, You get a 5 cent discount for every bag you have every time you shop. If you do not have some, GET SOME!
- I just put them back in my trunk whenever I am done putting away the groceries and then I never have to find them on my way to the store.
- They are also useful for Picnics, Canyon trips, Lakeside lunches, etc.
4. Use Social Networking
- There are different apps on each site (MySpace, Facebook, etc) that use your clicks to get money from advertisers to save rainforest and ocean.
- For instance, the two below save One Sq Ft of rainforest for every 10 plants or fish you send to your friends.
You collect plants and fish people send to you in your own little green patch or blue cove. Below is a pic of my little blue cove.
- Use 1/2 empty water bottles you find lying around the house to water plants.
- Collect water you run in the tub or shower while it's warming up to fill kiddy swimming pools, fill water storage bottles or water the garden.
- Turn off the water while shaving or brushing your teeth.