Hello, friends! I’m Kierste, from Simply Kierste, and I’m delighted to be here with you today! Fall is my ABSOLUTE favorite season, and after recently moving to upstate New York, I’m even more excited. I love the crisp mornings, cozy sweaters, vibrant leaf colors, pumpkin patches, cider mills, and of course, the yummy food. Today I’m sharing one of our family’s all-time favorite fall recipes, Cinnamon Swirl Cake. You are going to love me (or hate me, because you’re going to want to eat it all!) for this!
Seriously, it is SO good. Bits of cinnamon & sugar are swirled around inside the moist, buttery cake, and it’s topped with a creamy cinnamon buttercream frosting that I could eat with a spoon. (And I may or may not have done that before…)
This cake is very similar to a coffee cake, and could be served at brunch, or for dessert. It’s always a hit wherever I take it, and recipe It’s also a recipe that works well with gluten-free flour. I’ve served it numerous times that way, and no one was the wiser!
This really is the perfect cake for fall, and the entire holiday season. I love to serve it on the weekends for breakfast, and it’s also a yummy breakfast on Christmas morning. You really can’t go wrong serving this cake…anytime!
- 3 c. flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. melted butter
- 1/2 c. melted butter (Yes, another one! Keep them separate.)
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. flour
- 1 T. cinnamon
- Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. butter, softened
- 1-2 T. milk
- 1/2 T. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- dash salt
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the eggs, vanilla, milk, and 1/2 c. melted butter, and mix well. Pour into a greased 9×13 pan. Melt the second 1/2 c. butter, and stir in the cinnamon, flour, and brown sugar. Pour on top of the cake and swirl through with a butter knife. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until done through.
- While it’s baking, make the Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting! Place the powdered sugar and softened butter in a large mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer, adding the milk a little bit at a time until you get the right consistency. Add the vanilla and salt, mix well. Mix in the cinnamon.
- Frost the cake as soon as it comes out of the oven!