I always enjoy having DIY Christmas decorations in my holiday decor. It adds a personal touch and I love displaying things I have created. This year I saw the cutest 3D polka dot presents at Tai Pan Trading and instantly fell in love until I saw the price tag at $40. Granted they are a good 3 feet high, but $40 for foam core?! I knew then and there what my DIY Christmas decorations would be.
Our Version $10 <------------------------> Tai Pan Trading's Version $40------------------------>
- 2 sheets foam core (Do not buy at the dollar store! It has a paper finish and will bubble.)
- X-ACTO Z series blade (This baby was awesome! It cut like a charm.)
- X-ACTO Self Healing Cutting Mat
- Painter's tape
- Red Satin Craft Paint
- Foam Brush
- Foam Pouncer (for polka dots)
- Clear Glitter Finish (Martha Stewart's is indoor/outdoor if you want to put them on the porch)
DIY Christmas Decorations
1. Lay the foam core on the cutting mat and using your pencil hand sketch the shapes from the template below. Cut along the pencil lines with the Xacto Z-series.
2. Using your pencil, draw the ribbon tails as illustrated below on both sides of the present.
3. Tape around the ribbon tails and paint the ribbon area red.
4. While that is drying, paint red dots with the foam pouncer. Once the paint is dry turn the present over and paint the ribbon area and dots on the opposite side. Let that dry and repeat painting the ribbon area and dots with a second coat on each side.
5. Once all the paint is dry paint the whole thing with the glitter finish. I did two coats. If you squint with all your might you may see the shimmer on the ribbon loop. It is sparkly in person I promise.
6. Once dry, slide the two pieces together and stand up. The best part is when you are one with it take it apart and it stores flat! Gotta love big impact but space smart DIY Christmas Decorations!
I also love that this can double as birthday decor, especially since my son's birthday is in December. With a 3 foot present on the porch, people are bound to know it is the birthday party house.
OOOh, and guess what?!
X-ACTO is giving away TWO $25 Wal-Mart Gift Cards so you can try out their new blade and pick up supplies you need for your own DIY Christmas decorations!
Enter via Rafflecopter form below.
Disclosure: Xacto provided product to use, but the project and thoughts are all mine.