I am so excited to share what we have in store today! It's one of those projects that makes my heart smile when I think about it. My kiddos and I created a puppet playhouse along with some animal puppets to go along. With spring break and summer on it's way it is a super fun way to bust the "I'm Bored" streak!
I was excited when Elmer's contacted me about their Craft it! Community! Craft it! is a place for creative gals to share their creations and project ideas, gain inspiration and seek crafting advice. I love having a place to visit filled with people who "get it." You know, people who don't think it's weird that you keep 10 different types of adhesive on hand at all times and may even have an entire drawer dedicated to them.
We got a box in the mail and it was like Christmas! So many fun X-acto and Elmer's things to create with!! We decided to make a puppet playhouse and various puppets so we would have a project for mommy's strong opinion, but also some pieces the kids could do to their specifications. The kids had a blast putting together the puppets and putting on little shows.
Scrap Paper & Cardstock
X-acto Corner Punch
Elmer's Permanent Dot Runner
Elmer's Foam Adhesive Roll (for pig nose)
Painter's Marker in White (for tiger fur)
For the puppets I cut out simple shapes for the bodies and heads (since my little one is still learning the ins and outs of scissors) and let him glue them all together with the dot runner. Many of the heads were just squares that I rounded with the corner punch. So easy!! You can see the basic shapes we used in the pictures below.
My son insisted that I needed a Miss Piggy complete with blonde hair. We used the a piece of the foam adhesive roll to make the snout 3-D.
I didn't even realize when I was cutting this snake out that I was giving him a frown. My little guy was nice enough to point out that he was sad because he had lost his mother and that Miss Piggy would adopt him.
I love how Mr. Octopus looks like he's taking a step. My little guy also pointed out that the polka dots were suction cups. So creative these little ones!
We added some whiskers and fur on the tiger with the white Painter's marker. It was surprisingly easy to use except for the slight mishap on the tail getting the paint flowing in the beginning.
By now my kiddos were ready for a break so off to naps they went and I decided to tackle the X-acto knife work and puppet playhouse without the little hands.
Puppet Playhouse Supplies:
2 Elmer's Bifold Foam
X-acto Self-Healing Mat
X-acto Metal Ruler
3 12x12 Polka Dot Paper
Elmer's Permanant Dot Runner
Elmer's Quick Dry Glue Pen
Glitter Foam Adhesive Stars
1. Open the two bi-fold foam boards and lay flat with the short ends together. Tape the two boards together with packing tape. Lay the center of the board on the self-healing mat and using the ruler and X-acto knife cut out a 6 inch by 12 inch rectangle about 1.5 inches from the top of the board.
2. Using the permanant dot runner around the edges, adhere your polka dot paper over the entire front of the board. I cut slits in the paper where the board folds so it could still fold flat when not in use.
3.Cut a bunch of little rectangles (about 1" x 2") out of yellow cardstock. Round the bottom edges with the corner punch. Glue the rectangles on the bottom of the "stage" by doing a line with the glue runner on the bottom edge of the stage on both sides and about and inch down from the bottom on the front. Also do a thin line of the Elmer's quick dry pen where the foam is rough from the X-acto knife. Fold the rectangles over the edge of the stage one by one.
4. Cut 4 curtain shapes from the red, two slightly larger than the other and layer them to look like curtains. Cut a little piece of yellow cardstock to look like a curtain tie back. Glue them on with the permanent dot runner.
5. Stick the stars on the top of the stage.
The best is that it still folds flat for storage!
What are some things you like to do to keep your kids happy and creative? I would love some more ideas for summer!
How about some supplies to get you started?!
Elmer's is giving away TWO Craft It! kits full of products!
FOAM AND DISPLAY BOARD:
• 9” x 12” Mini Bi-Fold Foam Board
• Designer Series Gripster Craft Knife
• Designer Series 12” Metal Ruler
• Designer Series 12” X 12” Self Healing Mat
• Designer Series 8” Scissors
• Designer Series 5” Precision Tip Scissors
• Designer Series Basic Shape Templates
• Designer Series Decorative Shape Templates
• Painters Bright Colors
• Painters Sherbet Swirl
• Dot Runner
• Foam Mounting Tape
• Thin Medium Glue Spots
• All Purpose Glue Stick
• Quick Dry Dual Tip Glue Pen
• Elmer’s Designer Tape
Enter with the Rafflecopter form below.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
P.S. Don't forget to sign up for free Tipsy updates via RSS or email.