Well, today’s your lucky day. I’m gonna show you how to can organize all your ear adornments for under $5.
How to make an earring holder
- Splatter Screen (Dollar Tree)
- Hot Glue
- Needle & thread
I had the splatter screen to make this and was toying with the idea of lace, but was inspired by the lovely Amy from Positively Splendid to use burlap instead.
1. Lay burlap over splatter screen and trim to make a circle. Glue burlap taut by laying a line of glue around the edge of the screen and gluing down a bit a a time. I used the handle of a knife to push it down tight without burning myself. (ok so I still burnt myself multiple times) Do not put glue in the middle of the screen or your earring will not go through!
2. Glue ribbon over the handle of the screen leaving the hole on the back of the end uncovered so you can hang it easily.
3. Thread your needle with enough thread to go around the circumference of the circle. Tie a knot in the end of the two strings so it does not pull through. Go back and forth through the ribbon every 1/4 inch or so and scrunch as you go along so the ribbon ruffles.
4. Glue your ruffled ribbon around the circle leaving the ribbon break on the bottom left.
5. Make some burlap rosettes and glue those on to cover the break in the ribbon. (there are a million rosette tutorials out there if you need one)
6. Hang your earrings by pushing the posts through the burlap and the screen. Using both layers gives it strength so the burlap won’t get wonky spacing from things hanging on it.
Confession:the ribbon ruffles turned out a little more “Grandma’s fabric covered photo album” than I wanted, but what do you do.
If you like this, you may also like my DIY Jewelry Organizer for the back of a door.
Now it’s time to link up!
- Only link to your own projects that cost you $5 or less (price does not have to include items you had on hand)
- You can link past projects that fit the dollar limit
- Please link back so others can join the party
P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for free Tipsy updates via RSS or email.