This is a fun patriotic table runner with a little burlap ruffle for added cuteness. I made it for the 4th of July, but it can easily be done with alternate fabric for any occasion.
2 cotton towels or fabric
Denim (slightly more than 1 pant leg)
Burlap (at least 1 ft x 4 ft, preferably more)
1. Cut towels in half. Measure how long your table is to see how much denim you will need to make the runner long enough. Alternate material.
2. Pin and sew the edges of the denim to match the towel width.
3. Put the bright sides of the fabric together. Pin and sew the edge together to connect the two fabrics. Continue until all the pieces are sewn together in a strip.
4. Cut burlap in to six 2 inch wide and about 4 foot long strips. Snip and pull out one of the burlap strands to make cutting straight a snap.
5.To make ruffles, hold on to the strand in the middle of the end a burlap strip and CAREFULLY push the material to gather. Do this from each end until the gathering meeting in the middle and you have a ruffle. Be extremely gentle with the strand. I broke mine multiple times. When you are happy with the amount of gathering, tie knots on the end of each strand to keep the ruffle in place.
6. Now hot glue your ruffles on each seam. Wrap the edges of the burlap around the runner and glue down for a finished look.
I was so proud to show off my Denim and burlap ruffle table runner to the hubs when he got home. Too bad he asked what it was and was confused. He claims he has never seen a table runner before. I know he has seen them tons of times at my moms house. Such a man.
P.S. Don’t forget to sign up for free Tipsy updates via RSS or email.